Thursday, December 16, 2010

The reason for the season.

When asked what she'd like to get her loved ones for Christmas my darling 4 year old daughter listed off toys... like a dino for her grandma, and a puppy for her papa. She'd pick paints and paper for her aunt and a pillow pet for her uncle. There was one thing on her list that stood out though. When my darling 4 year old daughter was asked what she would like to get her father for Christmas she responded quite simply "Beer". Is that bad? To me it was funny and really thoughtful. In her little mind she really paired him with something she thought HE would like specifically it was very considerate.

So now we are on the hunt for the perfect bottle of beer for the man who knows what he likes and yet loves to try something new all the time... My husband loves dark, bitter, hoppy beers with complex tastes and smells. He loves rich beers with lots of flavors and yet smooth like a nice oaked stout. He's a chocolate stout man, and he's an oatmeal stout man. He loves a good IPA or a good Imperial. The problem is I want to get something new for him to try and he's the world's biggest buyer of craft beer (Try and dispute that as a fact, I dare you.) So I am looking for a craft beer that is rare yet accessible, dark and flavorful, and is (maybe similar to but) not on the list below (he already loves these, and many more):

Rouge's double chocolate stout
Young's double chocolate stout
Atwater's Vanilla Java Porter (My FAVORITE)
New Holland's  el Mole Ocho (and they have some other super yum stuff too like that beer with chai...)
Ugh. I could go on forever but he loves so many things. Duvel, Chimay, a million kinds of dogfish head's and founder's creations.

Any suggestions lover's of craft brews?

5 comments:

  1. Any of the special editions from Brooklyn that come in expensive 750ml bottles - such as Sorachi Ace, Black ops, Local No 1 or No2, sound like they'd fit the bill perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I really appreciate the advice! I will DEFINITELY look into it. I'm not sure I've ever heard of any of that so I am hoping he hasn't tasted it! Thanks! - Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good stout with plenty of hops: North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout.

    http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/beer-rasputin.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you can get 3 Floyds Moloko Milk Stout you should.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you guys SO much! I really appreciate the feedback. I am on a mission. Rasputin would have been a great pick but it's already a favorite. Thanks! :-) Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete